Sharing work items across modules?

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Dec 31, 2005 at 2:47 AM
originally posted by: aras03k

Greetings all,

I must admit I have not gone too far in depth with the tutorials, but so far it seems like a pefect match for my architecture. If my question is answerered through the tutorials, I apologize in advance.

I'm researching on the design of a smart client consisting of a series of modules and a web service driven backend.

If I were to have a customer module with a set of work items (CRUD operations etc.) and an invoice module. Now the customer module would of course contain several views displaying all the info we have on a customer, but several of these views would also be useful in the invoice module. How are these smartparts shared across these 2 modules? Would it not create an unwanted dependancy between them?

I also have a question regarding access permissions. I'm planning on controlling my users access rights through the backend server. I would then create a service that will retrieve a complete list of services they have access to. But i'm not sure on how this information could be tied into the client since the scope of permissions is not just on a module level.

Best regards,
AR
Jan 4, 2006 at 6:39 AM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

Re: Sharing WorkItems

You could move common views into a common module that others take direct dependencies upon. If you want to reuse the views, I'm not sure why you think the dependency is "unwanted".

Re: Access

There are a lot of potential solutions to this problem. Without getting too deep into it, here are a couple that might work for you. (1) Limit access by module, and use security to determine which modules get loaded. You can even take this further and extend the server-side ClickOnce to only send modules that the user has access to. (2) Enforce access with finer granularity than a module, which means using specific code inside the modules to do the lock down (more work for more flexibility).