Unit Tests

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jan 18, 2006 at 3:13 PM
originally posted by: sreeku

I am wondering if Composite UI Application Block development team is planning on releasing a sample program to write unit tests for CAB based applications.

We all want to write unit tests before writing a code, you see. :-)
Jan 19, 2006 at 5:04 AM
originally posted by: DLorenz

I think in a previous post, Microsoft said that they didn't make it so you could really unit test applications based on CAB. Or at least not easily. QA can do the testing for you with scripts for the UI, I would think.
Jan 19, 2006 at 5:39 AM
originally posted by: eichert12

CAB can definitely be unit tested. The guidance for using patterns such as MVC and MVP is specifically targetted at making it so the logic of the UI is broken out into objects that can be tested in isolation. If you look at the SCBAT 1 project you can see examples of how one might recommend writing unit tests for an application using CAB.

Of course this is just my viewpoint the "CAB guys" can probably give you additional guidance.

Cheers,
Steve

1http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/codegallery.aspx?id=941d2228-3bb5-42fd-8004-c08595821170
Feb 2, 2006 at 5:29 AM
originally posted by: pariampampam

Any guidance on test-driven development of CAB with just the stuff provided with the application block (we're not currently using SCBAT, so we won't be able to use their add-ons) would be nice. I'm currently not sure about how to accomplish this, in fact...

Cheers,
Marc
Feb 3, 2006 at 8:04 AM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

Can you provide some feedback on what areas of application development you're having trouble doing TDD against?
Feb 3, 2006 at 12:56 PM
originally posted by: sreeku

It wasn't particular to any areas of application development. I was looking for a sample Unit-Test project. The weekly code drops at Smart Client Baseline architecture Tools has couple of unit-test projects and they suffice me.