Architecture questions

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Nov 7, 2006 at 4:10 PM
originally posted by: jamescrosswell

One of the main reason I'm looking at CAB is becuase it allows the modularization of code - which means a developer can be working on one module without interfering with the work of another developer working on another module... all good news.

The main form/application has a Tab workspace on it as well as a toolbar and each of the modules for the software has one or more primary/main smartparts/views which gets loaded into a separate tab in the tab workspace and add various commands/buttons to the toolbar. That all works swimmingly.

The primary smartparts are, for the most part, grids and the like which provide a summary view of information relating to that particular module. When someone double clicks on an item in one of these grids it will open a Window that contains the details for that item and allows the user to modify it.

My question then is should the windows that display the details for an item (and allow the editing of items) also be developed as smartparts and shown via the use of a WindowWorkspace and, if so, is there any sample code anywhere that might show how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

James Crosswell
Microforge.net LLC
http://www.microforge.net
Nov 8, 2006 at 6:29 AM
originally posted by: akol_dk

We develop the popup windows as SmartParts. In this way, we get access to all other parts of the CAB framework, including all registered services.

I belive that the reference implementation for SCSF have examples of how to open popup windows containing SmartParts. SCSF creates a Modal WindowWorkspace as one of its default workspaces, and this can be used to display popup windows in the same way as other smartparts are displayed.

Regards
Anders