Offline application block integration with CAB?

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Dec 8, 2005 at 12:50 AM
originally posted by: lewischris

With all the talk around Smart Clients, one of the key 'must have' features that is always stated is the ability for the client to work 'offline' where possible.

The current version of the Smart Client Offline Application Block which delivers a service oriented solution to working offline is .NET 1.1 compatible only and relies on a lot of the early Application Blocks for it's internal functionality (Exception Management, DAAB, Caching, etc).

Given that Smart Clients are supposed to have offline functionality as a must have, are there any plans to integrate the SCOAB into the CAB? Or recommended guidelines for doing so?

Microsoft is plugging Smart Clients with the release of VS2005 and .NET 2.0, but the technology and pieces to enable end-user-developers to build then seem to me to be fragmented and not particularly coordinated or well documented. You can certainly build Smart Clients as all the bits are there, but it would be nice to have a clear architectural framework to help do the whole job.

Chris
Dec 8, 2005 at 9:37 AM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

We do not have any guidance to replace the Offline application block yet, for .NET 2.0. It's on our list, though. :)
Dec 8, 2005 at 9:50 AM
originally posted by: mhildner

I just started a project where I'm using the offline block and CAB. I just used VS to convert the offline block. What do you mean it's only compatible with .NET 1.1? So far, things are working fine for me. I wonder if I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Mike
Dec 8, 2005 at 10:27 AM
originally posted by: lewischris

Apologies, what I said isn't quite right. What I have found is that building the Offline block without any changes in VS2005 (i.e. just opening the solution in VS2005 and letting it do the convert) causes compilation errors when building for release. These are easily fixed, and relate to unsafe code blocks in the Caching App Block that require a compile switch to be set. There are also a lot of warnings about obsolete code, which you can probably ignore - if you have been working with the block then this must be OK.

The Offline block also uses a lot of the older application blocks - i.e. it is not based on the new Enterprise Library stuff. Nothing to do with .NET 1.1, but you get my drift - it needs updating to take advantage of the new Enterprise Library features.

So I guess what I should have asked was: "Will the SCOAB be redeveloped using the new Enterprise Library components, and will it be made available for .NET 2.0?"

Hope I make sense this time!

Chris
Sep 9, 2006 at 4:39 AM
originally posted by: JKraft4PIT

Man I wish it would be, I am in the same boat. I have converted it to 2.0 and removed all "obsolete code", but run into cachemanger problems after doing so. I tried to implement the Ent Lib 2.0 Cache, but there are a few sections that just won't work right. :(

I found a blog where the guy said he did it, but I asked for the code, or implementation help. But there was no response. :((

Si If someone has a update on this that would be great and save me alot of time.