Creating a Custom Workspace based on TabControls

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jan 5, 2006 at 11:14 AM
originally posted by: wfbinder

I'm trying to create a custom workspace the same as the TabWorkspace using the Infragistic UltraTabControl and the SandDock TabControl. In both cases I am successful in building the project but when the designer attampts to rebuild the form after the build VS.Net 2005 crashes. Can any one give me an idea of where to look or what to disable to prevent this from happening.
Jan 7, 2006 at 9:50 AM
originally posted by: GretchenSmith

Are you using Team System Beta3? If so, does the VS 2005 lock up totally? Look in the lower left corner and if you see the status message "Checking out files..." you have encountered a known issue with team system. The work-around is to checkout the view before you attempt to open it in the designer view.

We have gotten used to it... Many of our views have had that problem. You cannot make the problem go away short of deleting the view and redoing it from scratch. There is no key to what causes this to happen, whether it be user controls, etc. You can take the same form and load it into another project and it won't hang up the IDE.

Hope this helps.
Jan 7, 2006 at 11:05 AM

I am not using any beta software. I am using VS2005 Professional Edition. Although we use Vault for source control, the solution I am testing in is not under source control so I am never checking out files. I drag the custom workspace onto a form and it renders correctly in design mode. Everything is fine until I do a Build. After the message "Build suceeded" appears in the lower left, the designer attempts to refresh the form in design mode. At that point the design screen blanks out completely and I get a message box "Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close" with the option to send an error report to Microsoft. Obviously something bad is occuring when the form is being rebuilt.
Jan 14, 2006 at 8:06 AM
originally posted by: SkreetchinTires

I'm also creating a 'UltraTabWorkspace'. Out of the 53 NUnit tests, I still have about 7 failing. while I am not sure what is causing your IDE issue, I have not had any problems. I was however, wondering how far you have gotten on your new Infragistics based tabbed workspace and was wondering if you would like to collaborate?

Thanks!
Jan 14, 2006 at 9:13 AM

I have never resolved the designer issue and cannot use the custom workspace I have since VS crashes after every build. We are currently using the MDIWorkspace with the Infragistics TabbedMDI manager and it works great. I can see a need for the tabbed workspace since the MDI manager only works on the form and not in a UserControl. If you wouldn't mind I would like to review your custom workspace code to see if I could get beyond my IDE problem. I would be happy to collaborate after I have something to work with.
Jan 14, 2006 at 9:22 AM
originally posted by: SkreetchinTires

Your problem may be due to the object model of the UltraTabControl using 2 collections and thier management of child Control objects. I'll shoot you my unfinished code, it does work in the designer, but today I am deciding how to deal with my new SelectedIndex property and the order of designer serialization.

Right now, If you add tabs in the designer, the serializer adds the UltraTabPageControls to the UltraTabControl.Controls collection, then serializes my new SelectedIndex property, and then finally add the UltraTab objects to the UlltraTabControl.Tabs collection. This causes an issue in my imlementation of SelectedIndex. An easy fix though.
Feb 16, 2006 at 8:42 AM
originally posted by: zonebit

I have created two Workspaces, TabbedDocumentWorkspace and DockableWindowWorkspace, that use the SandDock TabbedDocument and DockableWindow controls from DivElements.

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/DockableCabWorkspaces.asp

The downloadable source may or may not help you resolve your problem.
Mar 11, 2006 at 4:42 PM
originally posted by: rj45

It's been a while since this thread was created, but in case you didn't know, Infragistics just released their CAB extensions which include workspaces for most of their popular container controls (including UltraTab). Although I'm not using them in design mode very much, I haven't experienced any kind of problems with these new workspaces.

Get it here:

http://www.infragistics.com/resource/Technologies/CAB/