Anyone using DevExpress controls in a CAB project

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Mar 21, 2006 at 6:24 PM
originally posted by: markdoc

I have worked with DevExpress controls and would like to use themn in a CAB project with an Outlook type interface. Is anyone doing this ?
Thnaks
Mark
Mar 23, 2006 at 2:15 PM
originally posted by: puy0

hi mark,

sorry i'm not, but i'm planning to do the same as you...
devexpress doesnt support CAB yet.
but infragistics does... that could be a source of "inspiration". :)

maybe we should help each other!?
Mar 25, 2006 at 2:43 PM

Hi,
It would be great to work together.. My need is for an outlook like interface. I want to have a framework that I can use for any application. Based on clicking a menu bar or side bar item,, I want to display an independent module. Each module should access a common state (current user, current customer, current date). I have used devexpress but am willing to use infragistics if needed. Is there some baseline framework available from where to begin ? We can perhaps in general terms, define what we need and then see what already is available in the open souirce world and go from there.
Thanks
Mark
Mar 26, 2006 at 6:36 AM

my need is not clear yet, i will learn much more from my customer next week.
All i know is that he wants a sexy outlook like ui. That's why i'm thinking about :
sexy > devexpress (but i have no practice of it nor othe components suite)
outlook layout > cab (no practice yet, but looks like something i have to use)

As i said, infragistics provides cab facilities. But we could do the same for dev express...
About this subject, give a look at matias posts, which is useful :
http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/messageboard/thread.aspx?id=22f72167-af95-44ce-a6ca-f2eafbf2653c&mbid=c09776ca-f94c-4c83-a80c-75d381cabdd6&threadid=f31be7d6-0a12-40c7-ab3d-5e7f65d6c15b
(i love urls with guids...)

If you want, you can contact me by mail, puy0 ~at~ hotmail.com
Apr 2, 2006 at 8:37 AM
originally posted by: DennisAfanassiev

Hi Mark,

We are using DevExpress grid and tree for our CAB project. Actually, there is no issues with both of them.

Regards,
Dennis
Apr 5, 2006 at 7:15 AM

Yes, using components is ok.

But i guess that mark want to do the thing i'm coding :
using containers like outlook navbar or MdiTabContainer.

Vincent.
Apr 5, 2006 at 3:05 PM

It seems we are all interested in developing an Outlook style CAB framework using DevExpress components.. If we could design a generic framework, then we all could benefit from this effort. There is an interesting article at http://devexpress.com/Support/BestPractices/.NET/SAP/
that describes the design of a generic Application framework that can be used for any application. This is something that I think would be very useful to all of us.

- Outlook 2003 style design: Side panel to navigate between modules (Workspaces)
- Side-panel (DevExpress NavBar) to allow for tree controls, text box, combobox etc controls to pass filter information to the module being displayed.
- We should be able to use our own modules with this framework
- Use the XtraBar for toolbar, dock panels
- Need to maintain the application state (as a singlton object) so all modules and control can access the common state elements: i.e, ActiveCustomer, ActiveCustomerList, ActiveUser, CurrentDate and other application wide objects. We should have a framework that allows use to easily create and use such amethod to keep track of state. Some developers may need to keep track of "customers" others may keep track of other real-worl objects, ie "Contacts". It should not matter as long as the framework has an easy way to create such state objects.
- How to start ? Perhaps someone who has already made progress in this direction can post their project as a start. We all can then build on this initial project and add additional features. This way no one person is required to understand how to implement all features on the framework. In the end we could have something we all can use by combining our collective expertise, "divide and conquer".
Do you guys think we can do this ? BTW, Devexpress unlimited eval version can be easily downloaded for free (no registering or other hoop to jump through)
Thnaks
Mark
Apr 5, 2006 at 10:58 PM

Hi mark,

I've already looked at the DevExpress Simple Application Framework you mentioned.

It is basically what the CAB offers but lighter.
Since i want to benefit of CAB features like EventBroker or Ioc, even if at first approach it looks like to me complex, i'm currently integrating DevExpress Components into CAB.

IMHO this is the DevExpress job to do that, like Infragistics did. But looks like CAB is not their priority.

My 2 cents. (euro cents)
Vincent.
Apr 6, 2006 at 2:13 PM

Hi Vincent,
You are correct. It is the job of DevExpress to put out a basic "Simple Application Framework" for CAB as they already have done before. I did email DevExpress about CAB support and it did not appear CAB was on their radar. DevExpress has another product that is in development based on their website: http://devexpress.com/Products/NET/eXpressApp/
Looks interesting, but I would rather have it support CAB.
Thanks,
Mark
Apr 6, 2006 at 2:26 PM
originally posted by: matiaswoloski

Hey guys,

Why don't you start a GDN workspace? It won't take too much writing workspaces, uielementadapters and commands.
If you need any help setting up things and sketch the initial tasks, let me know.

Matias
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski
Apr 6, 2006 at 4:22 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Does anyone else want to do the same ?
Mark
Apr 6, 2006 at 4:59 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Does anyone else want to do the same ? We do it for Infragistics (or DevExpress).
Mark
Apr 6, 2006 at 10:52 PM

Project initiated :
http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/CABDevExpressExtensionKit

See you soon!
Apr 12, 2006 at 12:59 AM

Seen nobody yet :'(

Anyway did some work on workspaces.

But i'm a bit lost with UIElements...

And a lot more with CommandAdapters...

If any generous people want to help...

I will do it for sure, at least on controls i want to use, just a matter of time.
Apr 12, 2006 at 4:32 PM

Hi puy0,
I sent my request to join the workspace you setup. I have been studying the functionality on the DevExpress "Simple Application Framework" in order to understand CAB better. In the Devexpress Simple App FW,, there is the concept of "actions" which allow UI elements on the main shell to pass events to modules that have subscribed to the main shell UI elements. I believe the Command adapters /UIElements perform this task in CAB. I have been working with someone on using the Devexpress Bar Manager with CAB and hope to make it available when ready.
Mark
Apr 12, 2006 at 9:35 PM

omg... thought naively that i would receive mails for applying users...
bad gdn! bad bad bad!
Apr 15, 2006 at 7:13 AM
originally posted by: espens

Hi

I've got a Tabbed workspace based on the
XtraTabControl

I've also got UIElementAdapters for
XtraNavBar and
XtraBar

Currently working on an MdiWorkSpace based on the XtraTabbedMdiManager.

By inheriting your main class from the custom XtraFormShellApplication instead of FormShellApplication you're able to use the above mentioned DevExpress components as UIExtensionSites.

Espen Schaathun
Apr 26, 2006 at 12:55 PM
originally posted by: AndrePiwoni

Here's what I've done for DevExpress Outlook-like NavBar control within docking Panel:

(1) I have defined NavBar control and some NavBarGroups as a UIExtensionSites within work item which displays them.

(2) Every module contributing NavBarGroup or NavBarItem does it so through WorkItemExtension to work item which defined UIExtensionSite being contributed to. Because WorkItemExtension is created only when extended work item is created, I don't have to add any UI elements during module loading. Since modules cannot be unloaded, it's impractical to unregister such UI elements in ModuleInit. Unregistering UI elements in WorkItemExtension is easy since it can be done when extended work item goes away or is deactivated.

(3) Within handlers for these NavBarItems I create module specific work items.

WorkItemExtensions can encapsulate this logic very neatly. Eventually, if you have more time, repetetive tasks such as creating NavBarItems, adding images, wiring commands and placement on UI can be done by application framework. This could be done by putting images, command handlers. location on UI, etc. in XML file processed by such framework. This is approach taken in Eclipse.

Andre
Apr 26, 2006 at 8:31 PM
originally posted by: espens

Hi.

Sounds very interesting, I would like to see this in action.

We have released an initial version of the CAB DevExpress Extension kit at
http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/CABDevExpressExtensionKit
Code contributions are always welcome.

We have a new drop of the extension kit almost ready, we've also converted the BankTeller Demo to use only DevExpress components. Hopefully we're able to release it this week.

Regards
Espen Schaathun