Janus UI Controls Workspaces

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Feb 22, 2006 at 12:19 PM
originally posted by: RobbieCourtneyGmail

Hi,

I am currently using the Janus UI Controls in my current project. It's not a cab project but I want to start using cab for future projects.

I need to make workspaces based on these controls and would like to see if anyone has any suggestions on where I should start, things to consider, etc. I haven't used cab extensively so I would like some insite from you guys/gals on the subject.

I am currently studying the Infragistics tool kit to see how they wrote their workspaces. Any suggestions are welcome.
Feb 22, 2006 at 2:35 PM
originally posted by: matiaswoloski

Hi Robbie,

The CAB Hands On Labs includes a Lab (#7) that instructs how to create a TreeWorkspace.

Also, take a look at this article on codeproject
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/DockableCabWorkspaces.asp

Finally, NetAdvantage also created custom workspaces for CAB. You could download the trial and investigate what they did.
http://www.infragistics.com/resource/Technologies/CAB/

Matias
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski
Feb 24, 2006 at 6:21 AM
originally posted by: RECourtney

Thanks for the reply Matias. I started working on this yesterday. I am going to use the Infragistics tool kit as a guide.
Mar 9, 2006 at 3:30 PM
originally posted by: DarrelMiller

We are also using the Janus UI controls in a CAB application. However, so far I have avoided creating any UI adapters for the Janus controls. I would be interested in hearing how successful you are.
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:04 PM
originally posted by: RECourtney

Hey Darrel,

I will update this thread as I make progress. I started a project for this and that is about as far as I have got with it. I have a very high priority project that is sucking up all of my R & D time at the moment.

How are you guys dealing with menus and toolbars if you havent written any adapters? I would like to utilize the merge features in the command manager as it works well. I use it in the project mentioned above. I think you would only have to write an adapter for handling adding new toolbars and leave the command (i.e. Janus command manager command) management up to the CM. That way your commands are easy to configure through the CM config dialog.

I usually create Outlook style interfaces so I was thinking that I would just drop a panel mgr on the shell form and create the panels I needed and then drop zone workspaces in the panels. This is a simple quick way to get things started. You couldn't add new panels from a module with this but I think it will work for simple apps. I am also considering making a workspace for the outlook navigation panel so it will be possible to add new items from modules to it.

I would like to get feedback on these thoughts. They are really just that, thoughts, I haven't actually got into writing code to try any of this yet.

RC
Mar 10, 2006 at 5:32 AM
originally posted by: DarrelMiller

Hi Robbie,

For the moment we are simply catching the events from the Janus menu and converting them into a event that is distributed by the event broker. Modules subscribe to a MenuCommand event and process it if the args indicate that the menu command belongs to it. We have a core menu that is pretty much well defined so at the moment I don't need the menu the UI Site stuff to dynamically add menus. I also wanted to be able to take advantage of the Janus menu designer.

We are using our own MDI workspace that is derived from Window Workspace. I plan on using the Janus PanelManager to show an outlook navigation panel, but the rest of the MDI Parent will be used for MDI children. I am really hoping that further down the road I am going to be able to dynamically switch between standard MDI child windows and tabbed MDI children.

Darrel