originally posted by: plombaer

Hi,

Any idea what is the future of CAB.
Will it be compatible with Avalon?

Thanks
Philippe
Dec 17, 2005 at 7:37 AM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

One of the most important aspects of our future planning is feedback from the community. If you (and others reading this message) were to set the priorities, what would you say is most important for the future of CAB?
Dec 21, 2005 at 12:31 AM
originally posted by: plombaer

I'm very interrested into Avalon but I can't wait 6 months (for RTM) to start my developments (WinForms/CAB/WebService/EntLib).
So, I expect from CAB2.0 to provide a seamless integration with Avalon (without re-coding my all application).

Thanks for your interrest.
Philippe
Jan 7, 2006 at 8:45 AM
originally posted by: GretchenSmith

We have a large smart client application that is based on CAB and our next task will be to start on the Vista/Avalon version. It is our sincere hope that a Alpha/Beta version based on the Avalon UI would be available soon or we will find ourselves rewriting a lot of code to provide the functionality we have in CAB 2.0 right now.

Thanks.
Jan 20, 2006 at 4:51 PM
originally posted by: rxd9507

Understanding CAB is tough for most of the people. Aumation is really important esp that everything is tied through righd grammar it makes perfect sense to make CAB appeal to those people who might not be extremely familar with strong OOPS.

Automation.
Some decent Enterprise application that use CAB and recommends DAL related stuff.// I know does not belong here completely but at least a diagram of where CAB fits in Enterprise would be helpful

Regards,
RxD
Aug 17, 2006 at 10:57 PM
originally posted by: DirkRombauts42

I would like to see an Automation model for one thing - so we can write addins using VSTA. And of course WPF as the UI technology.
Sep 13, 2006 at 5:21 AM
originally posted by: mcgomer

The first thing I would expect is that the CAB compiles, and runs cleanly with whatever the latest version of .Net and c# is. I do not want to be orphaned with the current version of c# and .net.
A port to the latest versions of both should be done with the availability of beta versions of the tools so that there are no surprises. This should be a point release of the existing CAB.

Second. After the port, do simple enhancements to take advantage new things within the new environment. With this, I mean the next step beyond a simple port. For instance, if this had been a move from 1.0 to 2.0 I would add generics into the CAB at this point, not in the port. For the port I would have used the existing collection classes, not generics. This should be a point release of the existing CAB.

Third. After step two is available to the world, look at paradigm shifts that have occured with the new technologies. ie Xaml, workflow, linq, changes to the WPF paradigm, and whatever else makes sense within the charter of the CAB. Then apply them as needed into a new version of the CAB not a point release.

I would not try to add more functionality into CAB and turn it into the be all to end all. Make it lean and mean. Enhance performance and usability, not neccessarily functionality. It is a framework for a smart client, not the smart client. Make sure the abstractions that the CAB represents make sense and are simple to enhance by the user. Create other project to add functionality. Look at the Apache model with the web server, tomcat and then all of the other projects that have been spawned off of that. Dont get seduced into putting everything into the same project.

Just my 2 cents

pm
Nov 29, 2006 at 2:45 AM
originally posted by: SaschaW

Found excellent port for WPF:

http://www.codeplex.com/wpfcab