Proposal for additional Services in CAB

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 10, 2005 at 8:32 AM
originally posted by: eilert

This is a proposal for some additional services, which the CAB might need out of the box. Some of these need not neccessary be in the first version.

1. LifeCycle service(s):
I don’t know what the performance and memory pressure of the CAB is, but I can imagine that they are substantial. I propose that we add some LifeCycle services to the existing ones in ths CAB.

I am thinking of services like:
Speculative creation and intialization of containers and or services to prepare them for siting and instantiating of components;
Activation and suspension of a group of components, services and containers;
Cacheing of these;
Attaching and detaching of these;

2. Security service(s):
Container isolation services can also be added, so that only certain services, components and containers can access or be accessed, or be promoted to higher containers.
Security monitoring services based on configured policies more granular then roles - they don't even need to be role based.

3. Messaging services and components:
EndPoint portals for containers so that they can be accessed by other services through messages;
Message parsing servce;
Message dispatching/routing service;
Message transformation service;

4. Configuration services:
Automatic runtime configuration of containers, services and components, after they already have been started.

5. Cacheing service(s)
Cacheing of discovered services or components for later re-access.
Aug 13, 2005 at 11:51 AM
originally posted by: EdJez

Good post & good feedback - can you clarify your needs or expected behavior around
"Automatic runtime configuration of containers, services and components, after they already have been started"?

(BTW - The Caching is probably implicit in CAB - once you add it to a host/workitem it's kept there for you.)