wpf/.net 3.0 support?

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 7, 2006 at 9:47 AM
originally posted by: xepaul2

What support does this factory now provide in a wpf based project?

Is there going to be a library something like Microsoft.Practices.CompositeUI.WPF rather than Microsoft.Practices.CompositeUI.WinForms available. Has anyone started down this route.

Thanks, any help or direction will be gretly appreciated.
Paul
Jul 8, 2006 at 11:02 AM
originally posted by: austinlamb

I'm not sure which question you're asking, so I'll separate it into two questions, with different answers.

1) Is there going to be a CAB for WPF with WPF workspaces, perhaps somehow taking advantage of WPF Property Bags, providing parts of WPF as Services (maybe? Not even sure this makes sense, just thinking out loud...), and on and on.

I haven't heard of such a project, though I've heard several people say they wish this were available, and I sort of agree. Perhaps one day this will be addressed, but for now it's a "roll your own" type of thing.

2) Is there a way to use WPF at all from CAB-based applications. The answer is definitely yes - but the way I've seen it done so far is WPF/WinForms Interop. I've created a demo that loads a WinForms SmartPart and a WPF SmartPart side-by-side, and even does so with runtime XAML loading (so the XAML can be changed after deployment, if desired). You can find my sample here:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/UserSamples/Details.aspx?SampleGuid=2DF97749-3D99-4BCC-B561-D1128230628E

Perhaps it will be of use to you in showing one method of using WPF from CAB with WinForms interop, and without a whole lot of rolling-your-own.

I did use the Smart Client Software Factory to create this CAB app, so its structure is rather complex for how simple and stupid it is. But don't let that intimidate you - I just did that to comply with the current CAB best practices, nothing more. You could make a WPF-enabled CAB app much simpler than this demo.