Nested workspaces and where to load views from

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
May 6, 2006 at 4:31 PM
originally posted by: GregShaw

I have a CAB application using a DeckWorkspace. One of the modules that I load up contains a tabworkspace. If that tabworkspace is to contain views from another module when do I load those views?
Surely, the load sequence of the modules is non-deterministic so a view within the tabworkspace won't know that the parent tabworkspace has been loaded before it attempts to load. And how does it know to retry after the parent has been loaded.
I expect that the WorkItem.Workspaces collection that the tabviews are to loaded into won't be the same collection that the deck views are loaded into, correct? So, how do I tell the module loader what order to load them in?
Thanks, Greg.
May 9, 2006 at 2:42 AM
originally posted by: DLorenz

Well, in order for the other modules to know about that workspace, the root workitem that they all run off of would need a reference to that tab workspace. You would have to run the specific view with the workspace on it before you could run any of the other modules on it. Though, the real question now is why you don't just put the TabWorkspace on the Shell. Is there any reason why you need a deckworkspace? If so, then you may need to automatically run the view that contains the tabworkspace onto the Deck at the launch of the Rootworkitem.
May 9, 2006 at 7:49 PM
originally posted by: GregShaw

I figured it might be as twsietd as that.

When I read the initial documentation I saw the facility of having nested workspaces. I took this to mean that I could also have nested modules for those workspaces.

My reason for this is that different modules have different broad functionality. Within those modules I also have some finer functionality that I would like to load on demand (by role or other criteria). I wanted this finer functionality to reside in separate modules. Having the tabworkspace on the Shell means that everyone has the same layout irrespective of role.

I suspect I am breaching the CAB design criteria of small, distinct and atomic units of work. I am combining many units of work and each may have a subtly different layout in the right Deckworkspace.

Thanks, Greg.