Form Designer can't find type ZoneWorkSpace?

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Dec 1, 2005 at 9:14 AM
originally posted by: VickiV

I am running the official release of VS .NET 2005 and the November VB .NET CTP. I have updated my test VB application that has a main form which uses ZoneWorkSpaces and SplitContainers to provide panels for my modules. Obviously at one time, I could see and modify the Form in the designer, but now I get errors that say:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could not find type 'Microsoft.Practices.CompositeUI.WinForms.ZoneWorkspace'. Please make sure that the assembly that contains this type is referenced. If this type is a part of your development project, make sure that the project has been successfully built.

The variable 'ZoneWorkspaceUpper' is either undeclared or was never assigned.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is repeated for my other zone as well.

Everything builds, and the application works just fine, but I can not get back to the designer so I can modify it. I had similar problems with VS2005B2 and June CTP, but I found that if I removed and readded the references to CAB on the project it would be okay for a while. Now nothing I do seems to make these errors go away.

Any suggestions?
Dec 2, 2005 at 12:17 PM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

Try resetting the designer toolbox, and then re-adding the CAB WinForms DLL. It sounds like it's possible that the designer is referencing some other version of the CAB DLL that doesn't exist any more, different from the one you're using to build your application.
Dec 3, 2005 at 6:00 AM
originally posted by: VickiV

I guess I am not sure what you mean by "reset the designer toolbox". It seems like this mostly happens after closing and reopening the solution. A mostly painless work around that I recently discovered is to right click on the Form.vb "Exclude from Project" then re-add it as an existing item. This gives me back access to the form designer.