Composite UI vs. User Interface Process

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Aug 20, 2005 at 8:19 AM
originally posted by: jnicholsonfl1

Briefly, can someone explain the differences between the Composite UI Application Block and the User Interface Process Application Block? I've researched the Composite UI App Block via the Webcasts and the labs and it seems to be what I'm looking for. What I'd like is to have someone familiar with the CAB explain the reasons for using one over the other.

Thanks...Jim
Aug 25, 2005 at 11:04 AM
originally posted by: roberto

I think that there are some interesting differences.
- if you try to use UIPAB directly in VS.Net 2005, you will get many compile errors.
- CAB uses some new features existing in VS.Net 2005 like Generics that enables the package to be more modular and flexible.
- the design used in CAB results in a more pluggable package. We can add new modules in a more easy way than using UIPAB.
- UIPAB is a pattern that deal with interaction between UI layer and others layers while CAB has the same target but also add many controls that may aid with UI implementation.
- I figured out that CAB promotes a better decuple between its parts than UIPAB.
- what i have seen is that is easier implement CAB in the application than UIPAB.
Aug 28, 2005 at 2:27 PM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

We are intending to release some guidance around UIP when using CAB.
Aug 29, 2005 at 2:31 AM
originally posted by: roberto

I think that it should be nice.
I've already using UIP in same Windows and Web projects and after reading the new features existing in CAB I think that should be nice to have the possibility to use CAB in same way without the needs to replace all the implementation. I know that some parts have the same meaning but implemented in different ways like the State object or how to publish or subscribe to an event. Another thing is that CAB has same features that only exists in Framework 2.0 like Generics. What I see is that CAB is much more a new implementation of UIP than a simple extention :)
Carlos