Problem using the Krypton Toolkit with CAB

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Feb 13, 2006 at 10:36 AM
originally posted by: Jitzy_B

Hi,

I'm having some issues using the Krypton Toolkit (http://www.componentfactory.com) which provides some custom UI controls. I think these issues are directly related to CAB.

I have a SmartPart in a separate Module that I add to a Workspace at runtime. It seems as though any Krypton controls I add to the SmartPart fail to render at runtime. Furthermore, if I add a normal WinForms button to the SmartPart when it contains any Krypton controls, then that fails to render as well.

I'm using a KryptonManager component on my Shell. This provides the global palette and global renderer to all Krypton controls. Maybe the controls on SmartParts fail to render because they don't have direct access to the manager when they are rendered? (Although, they don't rely on having a manager and have a default palette/renderer).

Normal WinForms components render fine on the SmartPart except when a Krypton control is present. Also, when I add a Krypton control to the Shell Form it renders fine (including if I add the SmartPart at design-time with Krypton controls).

Any thoughts on this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Jiten
Feb 13, 2006 at 8:47 PM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

Sorry, I don;t have any experience with Krypton Toolkit. Hopefully one of our community members can be of some assistance.
Feb 14, 2006 at 4:38 AM
originally posted by: Jitzy_B

Okay, no worries.

I've now removed all Krypton controls in the Shell and am able to get all controls in the SmartParts working :) I think the problem stemmed from the KryptonManager and removing that seems to make it work fine.

Jiten
Feb 14, 2006 at 6:23 AM
originally posted by: GilY

We're working with the Infragistics controls -- the new ones that are specifically designed to enhance CAB applications. So far so good (feedback from multiple projects is all positive so far), and many of our groups use Infragistics controls anyway (for web and winform apps).

I'm wondering if there are other UI controls out there that known to work well with CAB. It seems that the Krypton ones you mentioned are not ready for prime-time yet, but perhaps there are others out there who are...

Anyone know of other CAB-compatible or CAB-enhancing UI components?