Error Adding smart web reference

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jan 16, 2007 at 11:04 PM
I am trying to add smart web reference. When I right click the project, choose smart client factory->Add smart web reference. It throws up exception as follows:

Anyone have this situation? Anyone can help?

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ValueProviderException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe AddAsyncWebServiceProxy. Error was: An error happened while calling the value provider or evaluating the default value of argument CommonProject..
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Practices.GuidanceAutomation.SmartClient.ValueProviders.GetProjectFromGuidProvider.OnBeginRecipe(Object currentValue, Object& newValue) in c:\Dev\scbat\GuidanceAutomation\SmartClientDevelopment\ValueProviders\GetProjectFromGuidProvider.cs:line 37
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.CallProviders(IDictionary providers, IDictionaryService readonlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, Boolean isBefore)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.CallProviders(IDictionary providers, IDictionaryService readonlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, Boolean isBefore)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Execute(Boolean allowSuspend)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(String recipe, IAssetReference reference, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(IAssetReference reference)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeReference.OnExecute()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.AssetReference.Execute()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeMenuCommand.OnExec()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.AssetMenuCommand.Invoke()

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2007 at 12:26 PM
Are you running the recipe on a solution created with the Smart Client Software Factory guidance package?

Thanks
Matias
utl:http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski
Jan 17, 2007 at 8:25 PM
I'm getting the same error and yes my project was created fully with the guidance package under VS .NET 2005.
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2007 at 11:06 PM
Hi -

Open the solution file (.sln) with notepad and check if you have this section:

GlobalSection(ExtensibilityGlobals) = postSolution
RootNamespace = YourSolutionNamespace
CommonProjectGuid = 68ba2824-9f6a-4bad-971b-595310fb7aa8
ShellProjectGuid = ebd96ded-df47-43ec-bf9f-7070c069069d
EndGlobalSection

CommonProjectGuid is the guid of the Infrastructure.Interface project.
ShellProjectGuid is the guid of the Shell project.

If you want to find out the guid of those projects, open the .csproj file and look for <ProjectGuid>

Let me know if this helped

Matias
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski
Jan 19, 2007 at 4:07 AM
I try Matias's solution. It is still not working. I can't even open the solution after modification of .sln file.

Any thought?
Jan 19, 2007 at 4:44 AM
I try Matias's solution again. It eventually works. Previously I may use the wrong project Guid.

However, I can only open solution under VS.2005. When I double click .sln, it does not launch VS.2005. Without that section, it launch VS.2005

Not sure why?