Connection Monitor (Internet Connectivity vs Network Connectivity???)

Topics: Mobile Client Software Factory
Jan 5, 2007 at 5:14 PM
I may be missing something obvious but I can't seem to find out if I have internet connectivity through the connection monitor. I have it creating a connection monitor through the config file

ConnectionMonitor connMonitor = ConnectionMonitorFactory.CreateFromConfiguration();
if (connMonitor.IsConnected)

this works great depending on it being a desktop connection or nic... it gives me a poper bool if it has network connectivity, but that is seperate from Internet connectivity.

The only catch is that on a mobile device you have to set the network that is used to connect to the internet in the connection settings. If I don't have that set to "My work network" when connected to a desktop through activeSync I can't seem to get an internet connection even through I am connected to the network with a server assigned IP address.

It seems like after I get true on the isconnected I still have to find out if the device can get online before trying to hit a webservice or sync with merge replication. Also CF does not support "Ping" in the System.Net.NetworkInformation namespace.

I am new to mobile device develpment and mobile devices in general so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick
Jul 5, 2007 at 12:10 AM
Did you ever get an answer to this? I am having the same problem. I am connected over desktop pass through, but the device cannot see the internet. Because the connection is true, my disconnected calls are being made, but end up in the dead letter queue.