Smart Client Software Factory active or not

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jan 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Hi,

I would like to know whether smart client software factory is still active or not.  I have found the message "This content is outdated and is no longer being maintained. It is provided as a courtesy for individuals who are still using these technologies." in some microsoft sites related to smart client software factory.  Is there any other technology coming up as an alternative to smart client software factory.  We are in the process of choosing a basic software framework for a smart client application.  Please comment.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Hello,

We are currently working on an announcement regarding all of the factories that should answer your questions. Please expect a more detailed response within the next few days. I'm sorry for the delay.

Thank you,
Don

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM
alphonseja wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know whether smart client software factory is still active or not.  I have found the message "This content is outdated and is no longer being maintained. It is provided as a courtesy for individuals who are still using these technologies." in some microsoft sites related to smart client software factory.  Is there any other technology coming up as an alternative to smart client software factory.  We are in the process of choosing a basic software framework for a smart client application.  Please comment.

Hi,

Yes I also want to know the same

Please let me know if SCSF 2010 is being supported by MS.
I found in the following location
http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/7c580dca-22b0-4761-bf67-72a198b6acd4/
"This project is no longer being maintained and no future releases are planned"

Also in the following location on MSDN why is it shown as Retired content?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff709809.aspx

Retired Content
This content is outdated and is no longer being maintained. It is provided as a courtesy for individuals who are still using these technologies.
This page may contain URLs that were valid when originally published, but now link to sites or pages that no longer exist.

Its confusing. I want to know if its worth considering investment in this area?

If this is not the right forum please point me to correct form. Thanks and Regards

Vi

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM

a

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Please reply.

May 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM

helooooooouuuuu ?? anybody?

May 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM

SCSF 2010 is the last version of the Smart Client Software Factory. If you are thinking about moving to WPF or Silverlight, you can use Prism as it supports the composite scenario. If you plan to stay on Windows Forms, you can continue to use SCSF and make your own enhancements since you have the source code.

What are you using in SCSF? Are you considering moving to WPF? 

May 14, 2012 at 5:52 AM

I am currently using SCSF because I could not afford the time to move to WPF.  It's a shame that all support for SCSF stopped and everything was focused on Prism/WPF. 

May 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

+1

May 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I too, have an extremely large project that is using SCSF. I am deeply concerned with the impact to our application in the future - compatibaility w/ future releases of the VS IDE and Enterprise Library, costs to convert our application to Prism/WPF (if it's even possible to convert).

May 31, 2012 at 6:54 PM

And is that possible to provide comparison between SCSF w/WPF and Prizm?

What’s missing , what’s added, benefits etc Thanks in advance

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Hi,

For those interested in this subject, I believe you could find the following topic of the Prism documentation useful:

Additionally, you could also check the following related articles, although these were not created with the latest version of Prism:

Regards,

Agustin Adami
http://blogs.southworks.net/aadami

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Hi,

managed to port it to VS2012 using OpenGAX

http://scsf2012.codeplex.com/