DevExpress CAB vs. Infragistics CAB

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Nov 29, 2007 at 6:26 PM
Has anyone compared both with CAB? Is there a preference in terms of usability withing the SCSF/CAB Framework? Is there another UI Control vendor out there that offers a CAB Extension Kit that should be considered?
Dec 1, 2007 at 2:14 PM
DevExpress is not officialy supporting CAB. DevExpress CAB is a codeplex project based on contributors (very good job guys!)....
Infragistics on the other hand, has ship CAB module as a product (free with source for subscribers)...

I personally prefer devexpress controls and i vote for them...

You can contribute to CAB DevExpress project or change code as your needs dictates if there is something missing from CABDevexpress....
Or create your own UIExtension sites and workspaces based on devexpress' controls....

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:10 AM
I haven't personally looked at DevExpress, but my own team has had solid success with the Infragistics CAB controls. We are using the UltraToolbarsManagerWorkspace to leverage an Office 2007-style Ribbon (we did end up writing our own Ribbon API to wrap the UIExtensionsites of Tabs, Groups, QuickAccessToolbar, and ApplicationMenu) and we are using the UltraMDITabWorkspace to show Views as separate tabs.

Thus, it looks like two thumbs up, one for DevExpress by redbyron and one for Infragistics by prendebp :-)
Dec 2, 2007 at 4:30 PM
We're using Infragistics. The CAB control we use most right now is the DockingWorkspace and we like it, although the learning curve was pretty steep (only because some key documentation wasn't included with the control).

The Infragistics stuff in general is really feature rich. But figuring out how to use it can be a bugger, because we've found the documentation to be lacking. Sometimes you can find useful stuff on their website resources, but it can take time to unearth it.

That said, the Infragistics stuff looks great, and once you do know how to use it, it works well.

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:38 PM
Working with CAB is about the same in both, but in my experience the DevExpress API and code is much, much cleaner than infragistics which makes it easier to use and extend in general.
Dec 6, 2007 at 2:27 PM
Thanks for your responses guys!

Marcus