Unable to install CAB on Vista

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Oct 30, 2007 at 3:45 PM
I am unable to install the Composite UI application block.
The install errors during the step "Creating Visual Studio Solutions"
I get an error message "An unexpected error occurred generating the Visual Studio Solution files. You may have to manually create solution files for the projects you have installed."
This is followed by "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"
Following this, the install rolls back.
Any ideas?
Oct 30, 2007 at 8:48 PM
Hi

You could try to create a batch file executing CAB_CS.msi and run it as administrator:
  1. Create a new cmd file (called install.cmd, for example).
  2. Add the command msiexec /i {path} (path is the fully qualified path to CAB_CS.msi).
  3. Right click on the command file and select Run as Administrator.
If this doesn’t work, check again that you are counting with all the requirements for SCSF. If you do, and it still doesn’t work, please tell us:
  • What version of GAT/GAX you have installed.
  • What version of Visual Studio you have installed.
  • What version of CAB/SCSF you are trying to install.
  • If your user account session is running as administrator or as a limited user.
Please let me know if this helps.

Ignacio Baumann Fonay
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ibaumann/
Oct 30, 2007 at 9:06 PM
Edited Oct 30, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Worked Thanks!!!
Apr 1, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I am unable to install the Composite UI application block in the windows 7 OS.   I get an error message "An unexpected error occurred generating the Visual Studio Solution files. You may have to manually create solution files for the projects you have installed."

I have created the batch file like "msiexec /i cab_cs.msi /lv mylogfile.log"

And if run as general user it's giving th same error. If I run it as Administrator then got this error message "This installation package could not be opend. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package".

Environment :Windws 7 and VS 2008.

Can any one help me how to install the CAB UI in windows 7? 

Thanks,

KSR

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Hi KSR,

I assume you are using this version of the CAB. I was able to reproduce both of your issues and found a solution. As Ignacio explains, you need to specify the full path where the CAB_CS.msi file is located. So for example if it is in located in your desktop the command would be something like this:

msiexec /i C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\CAB_CS.msi

After that you must also run the batch file with Administrator privileges.

Please let me know if this helps.

Damian Schenkelman
http://blogs.southworks.net/dschenkelman

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Hi Damian,

I tryed in different ways and i am getting the same error.

I have saved the cab_cs.msi file location like  C:\CAB UI HELP\cab_cs.msi

I have creaed the three different bacth files in the C:\CAB UI HELP directory.

1) msiexec /i c:\cab ui help\cab_cs.msi /lv mylogfile.log      

If I run the above batch file as administrator it's displaying the syantax help dialog box(Windows ® Installer. V 5.0.7600.16385  msiexec /Option <Required Parameter> [Optional Parameter])

2)msiexec /i  CAB_CS.msi

If I run the above bacth file at th end of installation it's givng error message and uninstalling the CAB setup.

3) msiexec /i cab_cs.msi /lv mylogfile.log

If I run the above batch file as administrator it's giving the below message""This installation packge could not be opend. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact theapplication vendor to verify that this is a valid installer package"".

Work Environment  : Windows 7 Home Premium OS, VS 2008 and CAB_CS.msi (2005 version)

Thanks,

KSR