How-To: Smart Client Software Factory (SCSF) & Visual Studio Orcas Beta 2

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Aug 28, 2007 at 12:39 PM
Edited Aug 28, 2007 at 12:45 PM
Hi guys,

I want to share with you the post I have just published.

In the post you will find the steps you have to follow in order to use SCSF with Orcas Beta 2.

I hope you find this post useful. Any kind of feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ezequiel Jadib
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ejadib
Sep 6, 2007 at 1:06 PM
Hi, thanks for help,
I tried it but i dont see any GAT/GAX project in "new project" templates????
thanks
Sep 6, 2007 at 3:03 PM
Hi, in order to create a new SC-SF project you have to go to:

New Project > Guidance Packages > Smart Client Development May 2007.

Please let me know if this helps,

Ezequiel Jadib
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ejadib
Sep 6, 2007 at 3:48 PM
That exactly the problem - I don't have this node at "New Project" at vs 2008.
I wonder if it's because I have vs 2005 installed.
By the way I uninstalled all (GAX,GAT,SCSF) from 2005 and try to install them to 2008 but again this node is missing.
in 2005 everything is ok.
thanks
Sep 20, 2007 at 8:01 AM
i have the same problem with adiel, i look in gax / gat help file about how to install and enable guidance package, but when i follow the instruction i got error with microsoft.visualsudio.templatewizard
it said that the assembly manifest is not the same with the file in gac or something like that

then i found this in http://blogs.msdn.com/agile/archive/2007/08/02/new-gax-gat-july-2007-released.aspx
==============================================================================
Will existing guidance packages and software factories still work with this release?

Yes, if you run them on Visual Studio 2005.

However, any current guidance packages built against February 2007 CTP under Visual Studio 2005 (including all software factories provided by Microsoft patterns & practices on the date of this release - Web Client Software Factory, Smart Client Software Factory, Mobile Client Software Factory, and Web Service Software Factory) will NOT work on Orcas. Should you plan to design and run your own factories/guidance packages on Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2, those will need to be specifically designed as such.
==============================================================================
i wonder if this is the problem, and i don't know how to get SCSF work on orcas because i can't find gax/gat february 2007 release

please let me know how to set up SCSF with orcas

thanks
Mulyono
Sep 20, 2007 at 1:11 PM
Mulyono, did you follow all the steps described in my post?

You need GAX/GAT July 2007 CTP in order to run SCSF with Orcas.

Let me know if this helps,

Ezequiel Jadib
urk:http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ejadib
Sep 21, 2007 at 9:21 AM
i think i did follow your steps,
but to make myself sure, i have uninstalled everything that i think connected with Orcas (orcas, gax, gat, enterprise lib, scsf)
then i reinstall in the order you described:
1. orcas, after installed i try to open some project and everything looks OK
2. GAX July 2007 : how to test this?
3. GAT July 2007 :

i tried to enabled guidance package using Tools-Guidance Package Manager
but i got error message here
==========================================================================
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TemplateWizardInterface,
Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its
dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the
assembly reference. (Exception from HRESEULT: 0x80131040)
==========================================================================
then, i tried to edit devenv.exe.config and change the binding for TemplateWizardInterface
to version=8.0.0.0
after this step i tried again to enable guidance package, and there's no error message
but,
when i tried to install enterprise library i got another error
i forgot to copy the error cause i try orcas at home, and browse the internet at my office :-)

really hope you can help me

thanks
Mulyono
Sep 24, 2007 at 3:42 AM
i tried a little experiment with install order you gave,
1. Orcas
2. Enterprise Library May 2007
3. GAX July 2007
4. GAT July 2007
5. edit $InstallDirectory\IDE\devenv.exe.config and change binding for Microsoft.VisualStudio.TemplateWizardInterface to version=8.0.0.0
6. install SCSF May 2007

now, i can create new SCSF Project
but, will i get another error later, i just don't know :-)

perhaps, Adiel can try this....

FYI, i use Windows XP SP2 and Orcas Professional Edition

thanks
Mulyono
Sep 24, 2007 at 10:20 PM
you have no idea how mach i'm happy now!!!!
it take 4 hours with tons of problems but at last it work!!!

the main problem i think was that :
5. edit $InstallDirectory\IDE\devenv.exe.config and change binding for Microsoft.VisualStudio.TemplateWizardInterface to version=8.0.0.0

that make the different.
other problems was to uninstall all packeges and reinstall them.
thanks a lot....
Sep 25, 2007 at 7:35 PM
(forgive me I posted this on a blog entry but now I feel like this is the better place to ask a question)

Hi I have a question for the author--

I'm the researcher for my company and I have been trying to "kick the tires" on microsoft's latest recommended approach to smart client architecture.

Im finding myself excited to research the potential of this project but frustrated because my knowledge of setup and deployment is too weak to even get the templates installed on my machine. My fear is that my higher ups will dismiss this technology as immature if I dont present it in a simpler fashion.

anyways,

step 7 says: "build, register, and deploy!", well I have a 'GuidancePackage' solution in my "\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\SCSF Source", and it builds, but I have no idea how to "register" such that it appears as a template in my available project types.

Thanks in advance, and the rest of your instructions above were extremely helpful!
Sep 26, 2007 at 1:52 AM
Hi Peter.

In order to register a custom guidance package, first, enable the Guidance Package Development guidance package:

1. On the Tools menu, click Guidance Package Manager.
  2. In the Guidance Package Manager dialog box, click Enable / Disable Packages.
  3. In the Enable and Disable Packages dialog box, select the Guidance Package Development check box.
  4. Click OK.

Also, you can read the following SCSF documentation topic:
  • Registering the Smart Client Software Development Package (Inspecting the Software Factory Assets -> Guidance Automation -> Registering the Smart Client Software Development Package)

To register the guidance package…
1) Using Visual Studio, open the solution file GuidancePackage.sln.
2) On the Build menu, click Rebuild Solution. By default, this is a debug build.
3) Use the Guidance Package Manager to enable the Guidance Package Development guidance package. You must do this before you can use the Register Guidance Package recipe, Quick Register recipe, and Unregister Guidance Package recipe.
4) In Solution Explorer, right-click SmartClientFactoryPackage, and then click Register Guidance Package.

Hope it helps!

Sebastian Iacomuzzi
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/siacomuzzi
Sep 26, 2007 at 6:23 PM
Edited Sep 26, 2007 at 11:18 PM
First of all, thank you. That was helpful advice.
Unfortunately, I found myself running into more unanticipated problems shortly after this problem.

when attempting to enable any guidance package I came across the following error:
*Could not load file of assembly "Microsoft.VisualStudio.TemplatewizardInterface, Version 9.0.0.0, ..." *

I have a Version 8 in the /visualstudio9/common7/IDE/ ...
perhaps I can change the references in the source solution...
Nov 30, 2007 at 2:09 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM
Thx a lot!
After 5 despairing hours trying to install SCSF with VS2008 I found this article and it worked!

I've written a quite comprehensive blog entry about this topic, too. You can read it here:

Migrating a C# CAB/SCSF smart client application from Visual Studio 2005 to Visual Studio 2008 (Orcas)

Link: http://blog.mstern.at/index.php?/archives/30-Migrating-a-C-CABSCSF-smart-client-application-from-Visual-Studio-2005-to-Visual-Studio-2008-Orcas.html

Sorry for my bad English! ;)
Dec 17, 2007 at 4:15 PM
Why is there not just a little update so that it works properly under vs 2008 ?!