Recipe Framework Error opening VS2005

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Aug 25, 2007 at 2:13 AM
I am using the following:
CAB Dec. 2005
GAX/GAT Feb 2007
SCSF May 2007
Enterprise Library 3.1 May 2007

I am able to create a new SCSF project just fine. This is a basic project with no modifications from me. However, when I close Visual Studio, and then launch VS2005 again, it will attempt to load the project and gives me a series of Recipe Framework Error's.

The error would read:
Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe CreateViewCS. Error was: Function IsEnabledFor is not correctly implemented because it threw an exception.
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Practices.SmartClientFactory.References.ViewTemplateReferenceCS.IsEnabledFor(Object target)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.AssetReferenceService.IsAssetEnabledFor(String asset, Object target)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.AssetReferenceService.IsAssetEnabledFor(String asset, Object target)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeMenuCommand.OnQueryStatus()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.AssetMenuCommand.OnBeforeQueryStatus(Object sender, EventArgs eventArgs)

Other similar errors pop up after this, but for recipes CreateWPFViewCS, CreateDisconnectedServiceAgentCS, CreateDisconnectedServiceAgentVB.

Anyone know how to fix this? I've uninstalled and reinstalled (everything except Visual Studio) several times.
Aug 26, 2007 at 3:32 AM
Hi,

Got the same error a few days ago. Closing the IDE did not resolve it. I'm not sure what sorted it but the problem occured after I started to create a module, then removing it, then creating it again. I probably did this 3 or 4 times but everytime, changing the name slightly or the location of where it was created. The problem did get resolved, but I'm not sure how.

The only thing I can think of, and yet the error does not make sense based on what I did, but when I removed the references from the catalog, it seems to have sorted the problem.

Thanks.

T.
Aug 29, 2007 at 5:55 PM
Hi. Thanks for the response. Could you clarify a bit about "removing references from the catalog"? Which references are you referring to? I just can't figure out what got tweaked in my system to cause this error. It appears that the version of the RecipeFramework assemblies are correct.
Aug 30, 2007 at 12:41 AM
Hi,

Sorry I shouldn't have called them reference. I meant the module entries in the catalog. Double check that you haven't left any entries in your catalog for projects (modules) that no longer exists.

T.
Aug 30, 2007 at 5:54 PM
If you are referring to the modules in the profile catalog, unfortunately, that's not the problem I'm encountering. Basically, I can create a brand new project using the SCSF template and then close down Visual Studio. I don't have to add any new modules at all. When I start Visual Studio again and it loads this project, I will get those Recipe Framework errors. Do you recall anything else you might have done that would have helped to clear up this problem?
Aug 30, 2007 at 9:19 PM
Hi,

Sorry to hear it did not work for you! The only thing else I can think of is the add-in. I had really, really annoying problems with an add-in that's conflicting with the SCFS. The add-in is Document! X from Innovasys. If you don't have it, see if you have any other add-in via the Tools|Add-In Manager you may disable and try again.

One more problem, which I got of use to do, is that unfortunately it does not seem to save the settings in the add-in manager, so you every time I re-open .NET, I go back in the add-in manager and disable it again (and again, and again!!).

I'm not sure though if it will be your problem though as I'd swear I've only had the corrupt memory error once and the one I got with the add-in is different!

Try it I guess, it's worth the shot!

T.
Aug 31, 2007 at 12:32 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the additional information. That was exactly the clue that I needed. I am not using the DocumentX add-in, but when you mentioned Innovasys that reminded me of the add-in that I do have, namely DocProject. DocProject is basically a documentation tool built on top of Sandcastle that someone wrote and has here on Codeplex. So I disabled that and the error is gone now!
Aug 31, 2007 at 2:19 AM
Hi,

Glad to hear your problem is sorted. Is the add-in staying disabled when closing & re-opening the IDE? It will help me figure out whether it is the IDE that's the problem or is it Innovasys.

I got some help from originally from Microsoft & Southworks in relation to this problem. I will forward them this thread so that they are aware the problem is re-occuring with other add-ins.

Thanks.

T.
Aug 31, 2007 at 3:23 AM
Thierry,

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Regarding to the problem you are having disabling the add-in, are you unchecked the Startup checkBox?

Gambit, great to hear that your problem is solved.

As an FYI, you can check the thread were Thierry describes the issue with DocumentX add-in.

Please let me know if this helps,

Ezequiel Jadib
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ejadib
Aug 31, 2007 at 11:17 AM
Hi Ezequiel,

That's no problem at all. As for the add-in issue, yes, both checkboxes are unselected i.e. startup and command line

Any ideas?

Thanks.

T.