CAB and modal dialog issue when maximized

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 25, 2007 at 9:29 PM
Hey all,

I am not sure if others might have experienced this same issue, but I can't find any posts anywhere.

I am running the June 2006 SCSF version of CAB. I am using the Infragistics MDITabWorkspace and ToolbarManagerWorkspace on the Shell Form.

When I launch the Shell Form with a WindowState of Maximized, then my modal dialogboxes fail to display. This applies to both regular form-based dialogs as well as Messagebox.Show(). The modal dialogboxes only show when I mouse over the Windows Taskbar. Or, for form-based dialogs, they only appear when I mouse over the location/position where they were supposed to display.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? I am unsure whether it is a CAB bug, XP SP2 bug, or an Infragistics bug . . .

Otherwise, our SCSF application works brilliantly and we are very pleased with the Comp. UI App. Block overall.

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:13 AM
Hi,

Just to let you know that dialog box seems to be working (with Infragistics as well, incredible but true?) but the only thing is I'm using May 2007, so you may have to upgrade.

The dialog box I tried it with is a module with a view added to the WorkspaceNames.ModalWindows workspace.

T.
Jul 26, 2007 at 9:22 PM
I was able to recreate the issue from scratch in a bare-bones SmartClientApplication Solution!!!

I add a UltraToolbarsManagerWorkspace and an UltraMDITabWorkspace onto the ShellForm.

From a Business ModuleController, I show a view in the MDITabWorkspace, a view in the TaskPane of the ToolbarManagerWorksapce, and a view in the WindowsWorkspace.

When you close the view in the WindowsWorkspace, then focus does not appropriately return to the ShellForm, and any messageboxes I attemtp to show do NOT show until I mouse over the Windows XP TaskBar at the bottom of the screen (which is set to Locked).

Once again, the ShellForm is set to Maximized. I am using Infragistics NetAdvantage 2006 Vol 3.

I will have to follow up with Infragistics, or now with the barebones solution I may be better able to troubleshoot . . .
Jul 27, 2007 at 2:25 PM
I was able to isolate the problem even further: I believe now that it is caused solely by the UltraToolbarsManagerWorkspace (NOT the UltraMDITabWorkspace).

It seems to happen when you use the WindowsWorkspace in conjunction with the UltraToolbarsManagerWorkspace. It seems that when the WindowWorkspace opens (with the ShellForm as the Owner Form), then the focus is shifted off the ShellForm and it doesn't readily shift back. Any subsequent modal window calls will fail to display properly . . .
Jul 27, 2007 at 4:45 PM

prendebp wrote:
I was able to isolate the problem even further: I believe now that it is caused solely by the UltraToolbarsManagerWorkspace (NOT the UltraMDITabWorkspace).

It seems to happen when you use the WindowsWorkspace in conjunction with the UltraToolbarsManagerWorkspace. It seems that when the WindowWorkspace opens (with the ShellForm as the Owner Form), then the focus is shifted off the ShellForm and it doesn't readily shift back. Any subsequent modal window calls will fail to display properly . . .

Have you tried opening the WindowWorkspace without explicitly giving it an owner?

The good thing is you have access to the Infragistics Source code for the Workspaces, so it should be possible to fix it :-) We also use Infragistics; I'm checking out the UltraToolbarsManagerWorkspace right now...

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:32 PM
Yup, opening a WindowWorkspace with a null WindowHandle doesn't help either. In fact, it makes the WindowWorkspace appear off the screen.

I have submitted a ticket to Infragistics, so hopefully a hotfix will eventually come out for this if it isn't already fixed in a higher release. I also may need to try upgrading to SCSF May 2007 to see if that helps . . . although, not sure how much of a pain or time-consuming effort that might be - tight timeline on this project . . .

Anyway, I will eventually have to put together some sort of fix, workaround, or patch . . . :-)
Aug 1, 2007 at 9:14 PM
There is an Infragistics 6.3 Hotfix that should address this. I am upgrading to it now . . .