SCSF Hands On Lab #4 - Using DSA instead of smart web reference

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory, Offline Application Block
Jul 23, 2007 at 12:02 PM
I'm just getting started with SCSF development and have been through the first 3 HOLs. I am unable to get through lab #4 because the Add Smart Web Reference recipe is gone with the May release. Does anyone know of how to recreate this lab using the DSA? I assume the correct pattern is to use DSA now since the smart web reference is gone, right?
Thanks.
Developer
Jul 23, 2007 at 3:05 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2007 at 3:08 PM
Hi,
We are currently working on the new version of the labs targeted to SCSF v2.0. As part of the update, we are planning to replace the lab 4 with a lab that explains how to consume the DSA block to make calls to web services.

Regarding what pattern is the best, I should say that it depends on the case. Both the smart web reference and the DSA are implementations of the Service Agent pattern. The main difference between them is that the DSA provides extra offline capabilities like requests queuing when the application is offline. Typically I prefer the DSA over the smart web reference because I get these extra offline capabilities, but that doesn't mean that it is wrong to use a smart web reference.

(update: from a blog post)
The SCSF Hands On Labs will be built upon the existing ones. They will be updated to work with the latest release of the factory, and we are planning to cover the new features such as the ability to host WPF smartparts and the offline capabilities provided by the Disconnected Service Agent / Connection Monitor / Endpoint Catalog application blocks.

Mariano
http://staff.southworks.net/mariano