ValueProviderException

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jun 27, 2007 at 12:35 PM
I created a SCSF project yesterday. Modified the shell workspaces. Added a couple of business modules (havn't put anything in them yet). Added some libraries. Modified Guidance Manager to include WCF web service. Compiled no problem.

This morning I want to add another business module and I get ValueProviderException.

Any ideas?

The full exception message is below.

#############################################

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ValueProviderException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe CreateBusinessModuleCS. Error was: Failed to load value providers..
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Extensions.ValueProviders.VisualStudio.FirstSelectedProjectProvider' from assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Extensions, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
at Microsoft.Practices.Common.Services.TypeResolutionService.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
at Microsoft.Practices.Common.Services.AliasResolutionService.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
at Microsoft.Practices.Common.Services.TypeResolutionService.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.GetInstanceT(ITypeResolutionService resolution, String concreteType)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.LoadProviders(ITypeResolutionService resolution)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.LoadProviders(ITypeResolutionService resolution)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Execute(Boolean allowSuspend)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(String recipe, IAssetReference reference, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.ExecuteFromTemplate(String recipe, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.ExecuteRecipe(Boolean executeActions)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.RunStarted(Object automationObject, Dictionary`2 replacementsDictionary, WizardRunKind runKind, Object[] customParams)
Jun 27, 2007 at 3:38 PM
I had a similar problem - check these threads:
http://www.codeplex.com/smartclient/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=10806
http://www.codeplex.com/smartclient/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=10749

Vlad
Jun 27, 2007 at 5:10 PM
Thanks for that. Copying the recipe assembly file into the VS public assemblies directory and recyling VS seems to have done the trick. (The file was missing). I'm a bit confused because it was only one application that was not working. Anyway it works now.

(Don't know how I missed those threads. I thought I did a search)
Jun 28, 2007 at 12:36 PM
So guess what. I come in this morning and the error has returned. This time I delete the recipe framework extensions dll file from VS public assemblies folder (having added it yesterday to fix the problem) and it works again. Bizarre !!??!?!?!

I also noticed that I have 3 versions of the extensions dll file.

DLL Hell