Question of style - TabWorkspace/TabControl

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jun 22, 2007 at 6:34 PM
I think I already know the answer, but thought I would throw this out anyway. I currently have several UserControls/views that have a single parent item and multiple children displayed in a TabControl, but was thinking of changing the views to use a TabWorkspace instead. So, when designing a parent/child view, is it better to use a TabControl on the UserControl or should one embed a TabWorkspace within the UserControl?

Any feedback, comments, warnings, etc would be much appreciated.
Jun 29, 2007 at 7:39 PM
Hi, from my experience I found useful to use a TabWorkspace instead of the TabControl, because showing controls through workspaces allows you to consistently display, hide, activate, and monitor the parts shown, independently of the visual style in which they display. This allows the "look and feel" and layout of your shell to evolve independently of the SmartParts hosted within it.
Have in mind that the TabWorkspace is based on the TabControl.

Take a look to the topic: Inspecting the Software Factory Assets | Application Blocks | Composite UI Application Block | Design of Subsystems | Design of Workspaces in the SCSF Help. There you will find an overview of the workspaces that you might find useful.

Let me know if this helps,

Ezequiel Jadib
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ejadib
Jul 16, 2007 at 3:36 PM
Yes, that did help. Thank you for your reply. Though I was thinking it would be smarter to use the TabWorkspace, I just had the light bulb moment last week on developing the smartparts independently of where or how they will be displayed...