.NET 3.0 Requirements?

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2007 at 2:31 AM
I recently recieved this question in my inbox:

• "If I only want to build .Net 2.0 Windows Forms apps from the SCSF do I still need to have .Net 3.0 on the client machines that will host the deployed application? I believe that I need to have .Net 3.0 on the developer machine to install the SCSF."

The developer machine needs .NET 3.0 to get full functionality from the offerings.

The end user's machine should not need .NET 3.0 unless you use the WFP interop features provided in Microsoft.Practices.CompositeUI.WPF.dll OR the WCF compatible offline capabilities in Microsoft.Practices.SmartClient.DisconnectedAgent.dll.

To be safe, I would make sure that none of the projects in your solution reference either of these DLLs. Of course, a quick sanity test would be a good idea.
Jun 14, 2007 at 6:24 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

So as long as i do not referecne the WPF sections. (Which i am not using or planning on). I should be fine?

Do i have to recompile the sources on a machine that doesn't have 3.0 and use them?

I have never had the need to do such a thing before so any help/references to some more information would be appreciated.

Jordon
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2007 at 7:50 PM

jkraft wrote:

So as long as i do not referecne the WPF sections. (Which i am not using or planning on). I should be fine?

Do i have to recompile the sources on a machine that doesn't have 3.0 and use them?

I have never had the need to do such a thing before so any help/references to some more information would be appreciated.

Jordon

So long as your projects in VS do not reference the DLLs that require .NET 3 to be installed, you should be ok.
You should not need to recompile on a different machine, so long as you do not reference the .NET 3.0 dlls.
Just check (and maybe double-check) the references section of each project in your solution.
Jun 22, 2007 at 4:33 PM

MichaelPuleio wrote:

jkraft wrote:

Jordon

So long as your projects in VS do not reference the DLLs that require .NET 3 to be installed, you should be ok.
You should not need to recompile on a different machine, so long as you do not reference the .NET 3.0 dlls.
Just check (and maybe double-check) the references section of each project in your solution.

I will hopefully get to test that next week (crazy 2 weeks, server crashes geez).
And now that i think about it it just makes sense.