Summary - Partial upgrade from SCSF 1.0 to SCSF 2.0

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
May 23, 2007 at 9:52 PM
I've been one of the people complaining about the lack of a clear upgrade path from SCSF 1.0 to 2.0. I just thought I'll share what I've found so far.
We started using the CAB and SCSF early this year. One restriction is that we have to use VB.NET for the business modules. What we did was to use SCSF to generate the scheleton solution and then we converted the SHELL to VB and left the Infrastructure projects intact in C#. Our main reason to upgrade to this version of SCSF was to get the VS SCSF integrated guidance recipies for VB.
We use Entlib 2.0 for logging and exception handling and don't have time to upgrade those now.
Here's what I did and it works great.
1) uninstalled GAT, GAX and SCSF 1.0
2) Installed GAT, GAX (Feb 07 CTP)
3) Installed Entlib 3.0 (In retrospect I'm not sure I had to since we're not going to use that now)
4) Installed SCSF 2.0

I did not change any of the files in the Lib folder of the solution, neither did I regenerate any of the infrastructure projects. (If anyone can tell me what that would give me I would like to know)

We have a Logging assembly wrapping the Entlib logging. For some reason the references in this assembly were replaced with Entlib 3.0 references. I just deleted those and pointed to the 2.0 assemblies.

The first time I ran a SCSF 2.0 recipe a reference to ObjectBuilder 1.0.51206.0 was added to the project. The expected version is 1.0.51205.0. I deleted that reference and re-added a reference to ObjectBuilder from the Lib folder.

That's it actually. Works great. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the SCSF doesn't have any problem with the mixed VB/C# environment and adds VB where it should and C# where it should. Cool!

We are not going to use any of the new cool (WPF) features of SCSF for this project. I would still like to know what enhancements or bug fixes I'll get by upgrading to the SCSF 2.0/Entlib 3.0 binaries. Anyone?