Error 2869 Frustration

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
May 23, 2007 at 7:21 PM
Edited May 23, 2007 at 7:55 PM
I still can not get SCSF installed on Vista due to the 2869 error (I've tried every tip and trick mentioned on the web so far). This is extremely frustrating.

Is Microsoft's position that we should not be developing with these blocks in Vista yet?

It's funny that EntLib 3.1 installs perfectly fine. Why can't the SCSF guys do what the EntLib guys did?
May 23, 2007 at 9:15 PM
I agree. I've installed all the prerequisites and have still been having the same problem. What I noticed though is if I don't install the Automated Guidance then it installs successfully. Otherwise it complains about the package being a problem. I tried downloading another copy and got the same error (error code is 2869). Seems like it is more a generic error code.

Sorry guys, but could you please help. It really is becoming frustrating.
May 23, 2007 at 10:48 PM
Sorry for the inconveniences you are having. All the p&p team developed the factories under Windows Vista, so I am sure that the factories work in Vista :)

Can you run the following in a command prompt?
msiexec.exe /i scsf.msi /lv* logscsf.txt

and send it to matias at southworks dot net ?

Thanks
Matias
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski

May 24, 2007 at 2:12 PM
Matias,

I sent you the log file. I hope that you can solve this problem. For what it's worth, I have two PCs each running Vista Ultimate and SCSF won't install on either.

Both are also running Team Edition For Developers.

Thanks,

Sergio
May 24, 2007 at 4:36 PM
I didn't get the file yet, can you send that again?

By the way, are you running on 64 bits? Did you have previous versions of GAT/GAX (june 2006) installed?
May 24, 2007 at 7:47 PM
Matias,

I resent it.

I'm running 32-bit Vista. I only had the new version of GAT/GAX on one machine, and the 2006 version on the other machine (which I uninstalled and added the new version).

The install fails on both computers.

May 24, 2007 at 9:11 PM
Do any of you have Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista installed?
May 24, 2007 at 9:31 PM
Hi Matias,

I sent you a log file earlier today as well. I'm running 64-bit Vista Ultimate.

Thanks,
Liyaqat
May 24, 2007 at 9:55 PM
Yes, I have already installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1 for vista.
May 24, 2007 at 10:10 PM
Matias,

Yes. I'm up-to-date on my Windows Updates. :-)

Did you get my log file?
May 25, 2007 at 2:16 PM
sloscialo
maybe you have to unistall entlib 3.1 before install new version of GAX/GAT
May 25, 2007 at 4:31 PM
John,

I tried, I think, every combination that I can think of.

Install with EntLib 3.0 loaded, Install with no EntLib, Install with EntLib 3.1.

From what I've read from the Micrsoft Installer blogs, there appears to be an Impersonate flag incorrectly set in the MSI package. But what do I know?
May 25, 2007 at 4:53 PM
Same here.

In any case Entlib is not even a requirement. I did however manage to install it successfully but without the the Automated Guidance option. The minute thats checked then the installation fails even though I have the required GAX and GAT installed.

This is really dissappointing because I've been struggling to install it the complete package successfully for the past few days but to no avail can I get it right.

Please anyone. Help :(
May 25, 2007 at 6:29 PM
sloscialo,
if you use Windows Vista, you have to turn off User Account Control.
you can find it :
click on start-> click on control panel-> user accounts and family safety-> user account-> turn user account control on or off.
set to off. and try to install your software.
May 25, 2007 at 6:33 PM
John,

Turned off UAC too with all the above configurations too. No luck.

May 25, 2007 at 7:32 PM
I have tried this to. That is UAC off. Tried uninstalling the extensions and toolkit and loggin in using the Visual Studio Command Line as administrator just to be safe but still got the error. I'm on Vista Business 32 bits.
May 25, 2007 at 9:19 PM
The day before yesterday was my personal 2869 nightmare day. My 2869 occured during the uninstall of Guidance Automatic Extensions CTP June 2006. I have tried all that "msiexec /blablabla wahwahwah.msi" stuff with/without UAC disabled, from an Admin-Command-Window or from a batchfile. Everything without success. Finally i was able to uninstall my package by following the procedure that Greg Duncan describes in his blog (although it's about another error). Give it a try.

Oh, schould not forget to give you the link to Gregs blog ;-)

Have a look here: http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2007/05/uninstalling-guidance-automation.html
May 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM
I can't believe there is no solution yet to this problem on Vista. I would have at least expected some workarounds from the p&p team by now.
May 28, 2007 at 3:26 AM
Edited May 28, 2007 at 5:06 PM
p&p is investigating on this issue offline with a group of people. We will keep you posted through this thread.

By the way, any of you does not have VB.Net support on VSTS installed? If you don't, then this could be one cause.

Thanks
Matias
May 28, 2007 at 6:57 PM
I don't have VB.Net support on VSTS installed. I would prefer to not install VB.Net if there is another workaround like faking the availability of VB using some registry hack.
Thanks,
Vasi
May 28, 2007 at 7:22 PM
After running the script from Matias Woloski I found that out the problem was indeed that I didn't have VB.Net installed and this is on a VS Pro installation.
May 28, 2007 at 8:26 PM
Hi Matias,

Thanks. That did the trick.
May 29, 2007 at 5:51 PM
OK. Installing VB.Net allowed the installation of the SCSF.

Wow.

This "dependency" should be a lot clearer. :-)
May 29, 2007 at 9:18 PM
Enterprise Library 3.1 does not require VB.Net and installs just fine. I am going to wait until the SCSF guys fix the problem and release a new version that does not need VB.
Jun 6, 2007 at 10:20 AM
Anyone found a solution to this without installing VB? I will not have VB.NET on my computer. Hope there will be a fix on this soon. It should be possible to fix this with a registry-hack or something? Anyone?
Jun 6, 2007 at 10:20 AM
Edited Jun 6, 2007 at 10:26 AM
Is this dependency only necessary for the installationprocess? If so I could intall VB.NET, intstall the factory and then remove VB.NET again..... Anyone tried that?
Jun 7, 2007 at 9:48 PM
Hi,

Please take look at this: Known Issues with the Smart Client Software Factory. There you will find the instructions to install SCSF in a machine without VB.NET installed.

Let me know if this helps,

Ezequiel Jadib
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ejadib
Jul 31, 2007 at 3:02 PM
I have VB.NET Installed and I have the same issue as everyone else describe above. I cannot install or uninstall the SCSF, Guidance Toolkit, or Guidance Extensions.

Any thoughts?
Aug 12, 2007 at 5:34 AM
Edited Aug 12, 2007 at 5:35 AM
Thank you JRoppert! I have been trying everything for hours now and the fix worked for me from that blog - http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2007/05/uninstalling-guidance-automation.html
Dec 8, 2007 at 7:59 PM
It's almost 2:00pm and I've been trying to install SCSF (May 2007) since approx 7:00am; still not ready to give up, have tried all suggested fixes (to include known issues) and have installed/uninstalled countless times. What I did find was that if the GuidanceAutomationToolkit.msi is installed it must be uninstalled prior to attempting to uninstall the GuindanceAutomationExtensions.msi (otherwise you get the dreaded 2869 error or empty messagebox - I got both).

I can successfully install the SCSF (June 2006) with GAX but have uninstalled it in hopes of getting the newer code installed...
Dec 8, 2007 at 8:35 PM
I'm not sure what it was... Was it the new step I stumbled upon, something fixed along the way (with my many googled fix-attempts), pure luck, or a combination of --- I got SCSF May 2007 installed! The following is the comment I left on the Smart Client Software Factory Known Issues link

With both VB.NET and C# Installed in Visual Studio 2005 I could not get the SCSF to install because of the dreaded Error Code 2869. I followed the above and was good up to the step that stated:

=> Open the GuidancePackage solution.
=> Enable Guidance Package Development using the Guidance Package Manager from the Tools menu.

Peter2030's step #1 did permit me to compile the projects, I went to each projects references, highlighted all missing assemblies (yellow triangle) and set the "Specific Version" property to true as he indicated - and the projects compiled. In hindsight I'm curious as to whether or not I was supposed to run the GuidancePackageInstaller now that it was compiled??

What comes first, the chicken or the egg, those like myself who are stumped at this point should know that the Tools menu does not contain a "Guidance Package Manager" nor will you see a "Register Guidance Package" on right click until after you have successfully installed the Guidance package.

What worked for me, after hours of failing to make any other googled suggestions work, was to NOT install the Guidance Package Toolkit; something I had been doing on my many install/uninstall iterations. I only thought to try this because the Guidance Toolkit would cause the 2869 error code if it was installed and I attempted to uninstall the Guidance Package first.

Environment: Vista Ultimate, Visual Studio 2005 (with SP1). I had installed the EntLib and CAB then GuidanceAutomationExtensions.msi and finally the Smart Client Software Factory - May 2007.msi.

Perhaps another useful solution or another step on your journey to getting SCSF installed.... Hope this helps