Definitive guide to install MCSF please

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory, Mobile Client Software Factory
May 18, 2007 at 3:38 PM
Hi there, would somebody please please be kind enough to post a definitive and tested list of installers and urls for all the components needed to successfully install the mobile client software factory on vista x64.

I have read and re-read every post I can find on the subject, tried to obtain the correct installers - GAT and GAX 06 cannot be found anywhere, I have the MCSF july 06 refresh (at least thats what the file name says - I have downloaded a fresh one from msdn for every attempted install) but this will not play with GAT and GAX Feb 07 for love or money (I'm running out of both..)

I have previously been able to install WCSF jan 07 and WSSF dec 06(refresh).

My current install routine is:

Vista x64 ultimate completely clean - 2nd rebuild of the day.
Patches galore..
VS2005 + sp1 + vista update
Ajax toolkit
Silverlight toolkit
WM5 SDKs
CF2 sp2
Vista SDK
WPF/WWF/WCF extensions
WM6 SDKS

GAX Feb 07 - only one available
GAT Feb 07 - only one available
EntLib Jan 06
CAB Dec 05
SCSF June 06
MCSF July 06 refresh - fails "This installer requires the GAT june 06 or later...."

Ideally I would like to be able to install the latest version of SCSF to get the WPF functionality but this seems to be impossible to run alongside MCSF?

Maybe somebody could create a complete "Patterns & Practices" installer for vs2005 and build it straight into orcas complete with microsoft update.. sorry i'm asking a lot now..

Apologies if this is coming across as a rant, previously I have found the MCSF and SCSF very useful (on xp) but the versioning/prerequisite path seems to be well out of control.. and vista... vista has killed my inner child.. I particularly enjoy the bit in the installer "Time is precious..."

</Dumb.Terminal>
Jun 11, 2007 at 8:43 PM

DumbTerminal wrote:
Hi there, would somebody please please be kind enough to post a definitive and tested list of installers and urls for all the components needed to successfully install the mobile client software factory on vista x64.

I have read and re-read every post I can find on the subject, tried to obtain the correct installers - GAT and GAX 06 cannot be found anywhere, I have the MCSF july 06 refresh (at least thats what the file name says - I have downloaded a fresh one from msdn for every attempted install) but this will not play with GAT and GAX Feb 07 for love or money (I'm running out of both..)

I have previously been able to install WCSF jan 07 and WSSF dec 06(refresh).

My current install routine is:

Vista x64 ultimate completely clean - 2nd rebuild of the day.
Patches galore..
VS2005 + sp1 + vista update
Ajax toolkit
Silverlight toolkit
WM5 SDKs
CF2 sp2
Vista SDK
WPF/WWF/WCF extensions
WM6 SDKS

GAX Feb 07 - only one available
GAT Feb 07 - only one available
EntLib Jan 06
CAB Dec 05
SCSF June 06
MCSF July 06 refresh - fails "This installer requires the GAT june 06 or later...."

Ideally I would like to be able to install the latest version of SCSF to get the WPF functionality but this seems to be impossible to run alongside MCSF?

Maybe somebody could create a complete "Patterns & Practices" installer for vs2005 and build it straight into orcas complete with microsoft update.. sorry i'm asking a lot now..

Apologies if this is coming across as a rant, previously I have found the MCSF and SCSF very useful (on xp) but the versioning/prerequisite path seems to be well out of control.. and vista... vista has killed my inner child.. I particularly enjoy the bit in the installer "Time is precious..."

</Dumb.Terminal>

Big bump. I'm pretty frustrated with not getting mobile client SF working in Vista x64.
Jun 11, 2007 at 11:26 PM
Edited Jun 11, 2007 at 11:30 PM
So, I finally sat down and tried to fix this problem myself. I have Mobile Client Software Factory installed on Vista x64, but it took a lot of hacking. You can find my instructions here:

http://joshmouch.wordpress.com/2007/06/11/installing-mobile-client-software-factory-on-vista-x64/
Jun 12, 2007 at 6:41 PM
Joshmouch you are a star... I havent tried your solution yet as I'm working on something else but you have probably saved me! thanks again...
Please P&P start supporting us x64 users, then we can all start taking advantage of the hardware we have spent loads of cash on...
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2007 at 1:35 AM
We do hear your input.
I will pass this feedback on to our Product Planner and Program Manager. I'll also create a work item for folks to vote on.
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2007 at 1:39 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.